MARK HILL - writer guy

MARK HILL - writer guy

Pricey trains

The footloose and fancy free travel stuff is all well and good, but there's a lot to be said for planning ahead. I've done okay so far, but today the footloose approach caught up with me.

I went to the train station to book a train to Seville. Should be about four or five hours and fifty to sixty odd euros. But all the trains were booked and, as I'd already paid for my hostel, I couldn't change my travel dates.

So the upshot of it is that, to get to Seville, I have to go via Madrid (check a map, it's way out the way). I'll be on trains from 0900 to 1630 and the trip is costing me 123 euro.

Still, as I say, I've been lucky so far. If I average this against all the previous trips where I've gotten direct trains at reasonable cost with little advance booking, it's not so bad.