MARK HILL - writer guy

MARK HILL - writer guy

Pickled daikon

Daikon is Japanese white radish. Apparently, they serve it pickled as a nice complement to any rice dish. I thought I'd give it a try. I'd been thinking about pickled radish after seeing so many chefs on cooking shows do it, so I added some regular radish to the daikon. I reckon the red skin will add a nice extra element of colour.
Slice finely into quarter-inch pieces.
Ingredients are simple: hot pepper, rice vinegar, salt and sugar. I added a dash of lime juice for some reason (lime juice just seems so Asian, somehow).
Bung the whole lot in a ziploc bag and squish around well. Squeeze out all the air then into the fridge for two days to pickle.










UPDATE: Just tasted it and it's great. Sweet and very spicy. Will add a nice little side kick to any Asian dish.