MARK HILL - writer guy

MARK HILL - writer guy

Welcome back to the coffee percolator

There is no better device for the making of coffee than the old-style percolator. They are simple, inexpensive, easy to use, easy to clean and work well with ordinary supermarket ground coffee; there is no need for overpriced beans with fanciful names and elaborate packaging.

I have no idea why they fell out of favour some decades ago, but am pleased to see that the humble machine is making something of a comeback. I bought one as a wedding gift for my niece who uses it daily. And my sister, who knows all things culinary and taste-related, is now using one as well.

New percolators are fairly easy to find and have mercifully not been subjected to much in the way of modernising or upgrading. Most would not look too far out of place on the set of Mad Men and I like that.