MARK HILL - writer guy

MARK HILL - writer guy

Cooking scraps

This is my lunch.

A little sardine bought frozen and cheaply by the bag from the Grace Ottawa. Some aa choy from the Kowloon Market. A bit of leftover rice.

Doesn't look like much, but I love this stuff. I could eat like this all the time.

I was watching an old episode of Masterchef this afternoon. The challenge was for the chefs to prepare a dish using kitchen offcuts and scraps. They had a couple of fish heads, some broccoli stalk, a bit of pastry trimmings, that sort of thing. I just loved it. I could cook like that all the time.

I generally try to cook something decent for dinner. But I really like the bunch of stuff in a saute pan approach I use for lunch. I like the fact that it uses up stuff that might go in the bin.

I always keep little bits of sauces and juices from my dinners. They add an easy dollop of flavour to my lunches. Today's choy was cooked in some sauce from a pasta dish I made a couple of nights ago. Tasted great.

Sometimes, my use-everything lunches can make dinner a little fancier. For example, tonight I'm going to make a Thai chicken green curry. I need some potato cubes for it. Now normally my cubes would include the rounded parts from the outside. But knowing I can keep the rounded bits for lunch later, I'll just use perfect cubes for the meal. Small thing, but it will make the dish look just that little bit nicer.

But best of all, tomorrow's lunch will come with some nice, crispy potato wedges. Great with a little fish and a load of veg.