MARK HILL - writer guy

MARK HILL - writer guy

Thoughts on bread

I no longer buy bread. I like it, but I don't buy it.

I make my own bread.

Supermarkets make a fortune off bread. They take 10 cents worth of ingredients and sell them for three dollars.

At the supermarket the cheapest loaf is $1.50 and most loaves are pretty close to three bucks.

But, at the same supermarket, I can buy 2kgs of flour for about four dollars. And I can make a shedload of bread out of that.

This morning I was hungry. I tossed in a handful of flour and a dash of water and a pinch of salt. I mixed it up with chopsticks (I don't own a blender) and spread it out onto a pan. I dumped on some beans and veg I had in the fridge and cooked in a hot oven.

Doesn't look great, wouldn't pass muster at a poncy restaurant, but it tastes great, it's nutritious as all get out and costs next to nothing.